Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Hoppin' John

Lee and I are getting tired of black-eyed peas and collard greens. I made way too many peas. I put some up in the freezer, and we have been eating them for dinner since Saturday. Tonight is the last night (until we get in the mood again and pull them out of the freezer). To make them more than just black-eyed peas tonight, I decided to make some hoppin' john.

I haven't made hoppin' john in years. I think the last time I made it I was trying to be vegetarian. This time I diced up some of the leftover New Year's ham for the dish.

Sorry there are no photos for this recipe either. I have misplaced the charger to my good camera, and I can't use my other cameras because all the AA batteries need recharging.



Hoppin' John

2 tsp or so extra virgin olive oil

1/4-1/2 cup ham, finely chopped

1/2 medium white onion, finely chopped

1/2 cup green bell pepper, finely chopped

1/2 cup red bell pepper, finely chopped

2-3 tbs vegetable broth

1 1/2-2 cups cooked black-eyed peas

salt and freshly ground pepper to taste

Tabasco sauce to taste (or other hot sauce if absolutely necessary)

cooked rice for serving (I used jasmine)


Heat oil in a pan over medium-high heat. Add the ham and cook until browned a bit. Add onion and bell peppers, stir, and cook for 5-10 minutes until slightly tender. Add broth, peas, Tabasco, and salt and pepper and cook for an additional 5-10 minutes until heated through.

Serve hot over rice.







No comments:

Post a Comment