Thursday, May 19, 2011

Thin Mints in May

When I got pregnant I lost four whole pounds (unintentionally of course). Two months of boot camp and cutting out regular sodas could not even accomplish that last year.

The first few weeks of my pregnancy went well. I felt good, ate well, and even walked the dogs several times a week (often the only exercise I get). And I pretty much knew I was pregnant a week or two after conception, so I starting behaving as if I was just in case (no medicine, quitting the caffeine, trying to eat nutritiously, making sure not to skip the prenatal vitamin, etc...). I don't know if I am that in tune with my body or if my symptoms were just that obvious. The very sore and aching breasts were my first dead give away.

A few weeks later my whole body began changing and my whole relationship to food changed as well. I suddenly had no desire to eat...anything. There is still, as I type, a box of Girl Scout cookies (thin mints) on my coffee table. While an empty box still sitting around from February would be nothing out of the ordinary for me, a box that still has cookies in it is totally out of character. You know something is up when I don't even want cookies. As a comparison, the samoas, or whatever they are called now (out of p.c. reasons I guess), were eaten in all of two days before all of my bodily changes. Sweets don't usually linger in this house. Ask Lee. He knows he can't leave sweets around the house to save for later. There will be no later. They will be in my stomach. He can't leave cash around either, but that is a whole other matter.

I went from thinking about and wanting food during all waking hours to not even being able to enjoy watching Top Chef. Yes, just the sight of it bothered me at times. The smell really bothered me especially if it was meat. If Lee wanted to eat meat, he had to eat it for lunch while at work or cook it outside. One night he even took the toaster oven out on the front porch in order to cook some Italian sausage. He then ate his meal in the garage. I hear these pregnancy aversions sometimes linger long after the baby is born (even years). I may never want to eat Italian sausage again. It was never a favorite of mine anyway.

Although the loss of four pounds felt and looked great, it was worrisome. Even though I knew losing a few pounds in the first trimester was not going to be harmful (especially since I was a few pounds overweight from the onset), I couldn't help but worry. Would this last? Would I still not be able to eat entering my second trimester?

I am now in my second trimester, and I am happy to say that I am regaining my appetite. Things got worse before they got better, but they did get better. I have even regained those four pounds. I'm not ready to try any form of sausage yet, but I am adding more meat back into my diet. My insatiable sweet tooth seems to have returned as well. For maybe the first time in my life I will be able to enjoy Girl Scout cookies in May...and maybe June or July if I suddenly find some self-control.

I have not had any strange cravings yet (you know, like pickles and ice cream), but I still have about six more months to go. I'll keep you posted.

No comments:

Post a Comment